The Latin America Working Group would especially like to thank:
- Rep. Jim McGovern (D-MA) for championing human rights in Latin America and around the world.
- Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-AZ) for being a leading voice for sensible and humane border policies.
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-IL) for continuing his work to elevate and promote immigration reform that includes sensible border measures.
- Rep. Bill Delahunt (D-MA) and Rep. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) for their stay-power and commitment to ending the ban on travel to Cuba for all U.S. citizens. We wish Rep. Delahunt well in his retirement from the Congress and hope he will stay involved in Cuba policy advocacy.
- Chairwoman Nita Lowey (D-NY) for increasing aid to Colombian refugees and voicing support for a more balanced counternarcotics policy that includes attention to human rights and “more attention on reducing demand in our own society –and also on curbing the traffic of guns from our country into Mexico.”
LAWG would also like to thank the following members for their high scores this year on the Latin America votes and letters we emphasized:
Representatives Earl Blumenauer (D-OR), Bob Filner (D-CA), Raul Grijalva (D-AZ), Maurice Hinchey (D-NY) and Janice Schakowsky (D-IL).
Representatives Tammy Baldwin (D-WI), John Conyers (D-MI), Danny Davis (D-IL), Rosa DeLauro (D-CT), Donna Edwards (D-MD), Sam Farr (D-CA), Chaka Fattah (D-PA), Barney Frank (D-MA), Rush Holt (D-NJ), Michael Honda (D-CA), Jesse Jackson (D-IL), Bobby Rush (D-IL), Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-TX), Barbara Lee (D-CA), John Lewis (D-GA), Edward Markey (D-MA), Betty McCollum (D-MN), James McGovern (D-MA), Michael Michaud (D-ME), George Miller (D-CA), Jim Moran (D-VA ), James Oberstar (D-MN), Michael Quigley (D-IL), Linda Sanchez (D-CA), Jose Serrano (D-NY), John Tierney (D-MA), Maxine Waters (D-CA), Peter Welch (D-VT) and Lynn Woolsey (D-CA).