A U.S. policy, first announced in December 2018 and implemented January 25, 2019, means asylum seekers arriving at ports of entry on the U.S.-Mexico border will be returned to Mexico to wait for the duration of their U.S. immigration proceedings. The “Migration Protection Protocols” (MPP)—frequently referenced as “Remain in Mexico”—has nothing to do with migrant protections. In fact, it does just the opposite.
Here, you’ll find all the resources you need to understand why this policy is unlawful, unsafe, and unacceptable. Together, we’ll tell the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) that we reject actions that jeopardize the rights and safety of migrants and asylum seekers!
Know the Basics.
You have questions, and we have answers!
See our “One Year Later” infographic on the impacts of this harmful policy.
Check out “’Remain in Mexico’” Must Go: An illegal policy designed to endanger, not protect, migrants” for an overview.
See a letter signed by 60 organizations.
We coordinated 60 organizations in sending a letter to Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, Kirstjen Nielsen, expressing concern with implementation and expansion of the policy. It concludes that the resources spent on the program could be much better spent on processing the backlog of asylum seekers at the border. It also urges DHS to halt this policy and refrain from expanding it to additional locations and to asylum-seeking families.
Read our Press Releases.
- Press Release: Ahead of Planned Expansion: 60 Organizations Urge Secretary Nielsen to Terminate the “Remain in Mexico” Policy
- Press Release: Remain in Mexico is Illegal, U.S. Plan Sends Asylum Seekers to Danger in Mexico
- Press Release: LAWG condemns U.S. plan to send asylum seekers to danger in Mexico
Learn More About Danger for Migrants in Mexico.
- Trouble for Turn Backs: Risks for Migrants in Mexico’s Northern Border States
- Update on the Human Rights Situation in Mexico: April 2018 Update
- Press Release: LAWG Condemns U.S. Government Violence against Asylum Seekers at the Border, Calls for Compassionate & Humanitarian Responses
Share your disapproval of the Remain in Mexico policy on social media!
Your voice matters! U.S. policymakers in Congress, agencies, and the administration need to hear from you. And, your friends and family do too.
See how YOU can get involved and read our “RestoreAsylumNow” Action Alert