CALL CONGRESS: Extend Temporary Protected Status for Hondurans

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Author: Lily Folkerts

Over 57,000 Hondurans in the United States remain in limbo—they’re Temporary Protected Status (TPS) holders, and many have been members of our communities for 20 years. But their ability to live in the country that they’ve called home for so long may soon end.

By May 6, 2018 Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen will decide whether to terminate or extend the program for Hondurans. And if we base her impending decision on any of her past ones for El Salvador, Haiti, and Nicaragua, frankly, it does not look good.

That’s why compassionate and sensible members of the House of Representatives started a dear colleague letter urging Secretary Nielsen to extend TPS for Honduras. But this letter needs cosigners, and that’s where you come in. Call your representative and ask them to show their support for Honduran TPSianos!

Honduras received TPS designation in 1998 after a series of natural disasters. But it’s had a complicated time fully recovering—add to the initial natural disasters so many other problems, like the 2009 coup and spiraling violence and now the contested 2017 elections and human rights crisis—making Hondurans’ lives so much more difficult. That’s why it’s so important for you to tell your representative to support these members of our communities. We can’t let them be returned to insecurity and violence or uprooted from their lives here.


Enter your zipcode below to find your representative’s contact information>>

“I am calling to ask Rep. _____ to sign on to a letter that urges Secretary Nielsen to renew Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for Hondurans. He/She can also call the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) directly. These over 57,000 individuals are long-term members of our communities—they have families and own homes, hold jobs and pay taxes, and have contributed for years to our communities and economy. As Rep. _____’s constituent, I strongly urge him/her to sign the letter and call DHS to extend TPS. You can contact Rep. Gomez, Rep. Torres, or Rep. McGovern’s office to sign on or with questions. Thank you.”