Author: Andrea Fernández Aponte
The trial of the murder of beloved environmental and indigenous rights activist Berta Cáceres started up again this past Monday. Though this may sound like good news, there are too many red flags to be anything but skeptical about the whole process.
Since the hearings began back in June, the trial has been moving ahead quickly despite the complex nature of the case. In fact, Berta’s family, the organization she founded (COPINH), and international observers are worried the Honduran government is trying to plow through it to avoid catching the real masterminds behind the crime.
Berta’s relatives are convinced that the trial will end quickly and with a guilty verdict for the men accused of the renowned activist’s murder. Yet, they warn that this does not guarantee a complete justice. “Without a doubt, there will be convictions because it is in the State’s interest. But they are going to be fragile sentences and the result of a superficial process that is not going to shed light on what really happened,” said Berta Zúñiga, Berta’s daughter, in an interview.
What’s more, last month the judges overseeing the trial removed the victims’ lawyers from the case, a move that was widely criticized by COPINH and observers alike. Now, COPINH and Berta’s family are calling on the international community to speak out against the trial’s mounting irregularities and the Public Ministry’s careless handling of the case.
Here’s where you come in. We need to make sure the Honduran government knows that all eyes are on them. That their suspicious behavior has not gone unnoticed. And that we will not back down until we achieve total justice for Berta’s cruel murder.
Demand #RealJusticeForBerta! Click on the sample tweets below to share them with your network:
- The trial for the murder of #BertaCaceres has raised many red flags:
* Victims left w/o legal representation
* Concealed information
* Discrimination & bias against the victims
@USEmbassyHN, @USAAmbHonduras, @EmbajadaHN: Urge the Honduran gov’t to push for #RealJusticeforBerta
- The trial for the murder of #BertaCáceres needs to shed light on what really happened & bring the masterminds to justice!
@USEmbassyHN @USAAmbHonduras @EmbajadaHN: Tell the Honduran gov’t to prosecute the intellectual authors #RealJusticeforBerta
- The Honduran govt’s denial of the victims’ rights hasn’t gone unnoticed in the #BertaCáceres trial.
@USEmbassyHN @USAAmbHonduras @EmbajadaHN: Tell the Honduran gov’t that the world is watching and waiting for #RealJusticeforBerta
- Why were the victims’ lawyers removed from the #BertaCáceres case? Why won’t the trial be publicly transmitted? Why has the Public Prosecutor denied the victims info 35x?
We want the truth. We demand #RealJusticeforBerta @USEmbassyHN @USAAmbHonduras @EmbajadaHN
- .USAAmbHonduras, @USEmbassyHN: Please urge the Honduran gov’t to address the irregularities in the ongoing #BertaCáceres trial and to ensure the intellectual—not just the material—authors of the murder are investigated & prosecuted! #RealJusticeForBerta
Help us spread the word! Share the image below on Facebook & Twitter:
Berta’s case is about justice, not just for her cruel murder, but for the Honduran people—especially those who continue to be threatened and killed for standing up for their community’s rights. THANK YOU for taking a stand!