Date: Sep 23, 2020
Author: Lauri Alvarez
The acting head of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Chad Wolf is now being nominated by President Trump to officially assume the role of DHS secretary. His hearing is today, and if he is confirmed, more harm will come to immigrants in our nation.
Chad Wolf helped implement the cruel child separation “Zero Tolerance” policy under Secretary Nielsen. The image of children in cages reaching for their mothers being taken is forever etched in our mind. He led the evisceration of our asylum system through the so-called “Safe Third Country Agreements” and the closure of the border to all seeking humanitarian refuge. And with the help of Acting Deputy Secretary Cuccinelli, he ordered the illegal manipulation of data to justify the administration’s anti-immigrant policies. If that weren’t enough, there has been widespread medical negligence in ICE jails—including removing immigrant women’s uteruses without their consent, all under his watch. And he’s presided over massive deportations of immigrants, including some with COVID-19, to countries with fragile health systems. And here’s the kicker—he legally should not even have this job.
We can’t afford to see what else Chad Wolf has in store—lives depend on it.
Here’s what you can do:
We can stop this. Wolf has his Senate nomination hearing for Secretary of DHS TODAY, Wednesday September 23rd at 10am EST and we won’t let it go unchallenged. The time is now to let our senators know we oppose his nomination—and they should too.
If you have a senator on the U.S. Senate Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs (HSGAC) Committee (see list below), please call them! Otherwise, call any (and many) of the members to OPPOSE Wolf’s nomination before they vote. They are the first step to confirm or deny his nomination. Keep calling! The Committee will vote a few days after the hearing.
- Say something like: Chad Wolf’s appointment as Secretary of Homeland Security poses a real threat to human rights across the United States. He’s separated families and ramped up deportations and expulsions during the pandemic. His clear lack of regard for human life is disturbing and harmful to the safety of our country. I strongly urge you as a member of the HSGAC to oppose his confirmation.
- If your senator isn’t listed contact the committee directly here.
Join a twitterstorm at 10am TODAY urging senators to oppose his nomination using the #FreetheFamilies. Find the twitter handles of key senators below. Keep tweeting and keep the pressure up!
- Sample Tweets: “Chad Wolf, an architect of family separation, oversaw the implementation of countless cruel asylum policies, including the ramping up of the expulsion, detention, and deportation of vulnerable individuals and children during the #COVID19 crisis. #FreeTheFamilies”
- “Chad Wolf championed inhumane, chaotic, and unpopular immigration policies such as defying the Supreme Court’s decision on #DACA and the expulsion of over 150,000 asylum seekers including unaccompanied children. #FreeTheFamilies”
Senate Committee on Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs:
- Ron Johnson (R-WI) Chairman Twitter 202-224-5323
- Rob Portman (R-OH) Twitter 202-224-3353
- Paul Rand (R-KY) Twitter 202-224-4343
- James Lankford (R-OK) Twitter 202-224-5754
- Mitt Romney (R-UT) Twitter 202-224-5251
- Rick Scott (R-FL) Twitter 202-224-5274
- Michael B. Enzi (R-WY) Twitter 202-224-3424
- Josh Hawley (R-MO) Twitter 202-224-6154
- Gary Peters (D-MI) Ranking Member Twitter 202-224-6221
- Thomas Carper (D-DE) Twitter 202-224-2441
- Margaret Wood Hassan (D-NH) Twitter 202-224-3324
- Kamala Harris (D-CA) Twitter 202-224-3553
- Krysten Sinema (D-AZ) Twitter 202-224-4521
- Jacky Rosen (D-NV) Twitter 202-224-6244