Author: Angelika Albaladejo
The Days of Prayer and Action for Colombia are almost here!
Each year, communities across the United States join in solidarity with our Colombian brothers and sisters to show policymakers that we want U.S.-Colombia policies focused on peace, not military solutions for Colombia’s 50-year-old conflict.
A just and lasting peace in Colombia is in our sights. So, this year, your mission is to push the United States to support Colombia’s advancing peace process and convince lawmakers that tomorrow’s peace starts today.
Join us on May 17 and 18 for “Tomorrow’s Peace Starts Today!”
- ADVOCATE — We encourage supporters of the Colombian peace process to take action!
- Sign a grassroots petition which will be shared with President Obama and members of Congress. Sign the petition here.
- Then, help share the petition on social media. Here are some sample posts to get you started:
- I support #PeaceinColombia. Now’s the time to push for peace. Sign the #DOPA2015 petition here: tinyurl.com/dopa2015
- Sign the #DOPA2015 petition in support of #PeaceinColombia! It’s time to stand together for peace & justice. tinyurl.com/dopa2015
- Urge your member of Congress to support peace, not militarized aid:
(Find your representative’s Twitter account here.)
- I support lasting inclusive #PeaceinColombia. Don’t you, @YourMemberofCongress? #DOPA2015
- The process for #PeaceinColombia is moving forward. Can you show your support @YourMemberofCongress? #DOPA2015
- The groundwork for lasting peace must begin today! @YourMemberofCongress support policy that builds #PeaceinColombia #DOPA2015
- Show your support on Twitter. Here are some sample tweets you can use:
- Tomorrow’s #PeaceinColombia Starts Today! #DOPA2015
- Now is the time to support #PeaceinColombia #DOPA2015
- The groundwork for lasting peace must begin today! #PeaceinColombia #DOPA2015
- Show your support on Facebook. Here are some posts ideas:
- A just and lasting peace in Colombia is in our sights. Join #DOPA2015 to show policymakers that we want U.S.-Colombia policies focused on peace, not military solutions for Colombia’s 50-year-old conflict. Sign the petition in support of a peace with truth and justice (tinyurl.com/dopa2015).
- Support Colombians in their demands for a just and peaceful end to over 50 years of armed conflict. Sign the #DOPA2015 petition and share widely: tinyurl.com/dopa2015
- Apoya a Colombianas y Colombianos exigiendo un fin justo y pacífico, a las mas de 50 años de conflicto armado. Firma la petición de #DOPA2015 y compartir ampliamente: tinyurl.com/dopa2015
- Share pictures of your community participating in DOPA events.
- CREATE — Organize a “Tomorrow’s Peace Starts Today” craft night with your family, friends or local community. Help us create flag garlands symbolizing solidarity with Colombia in the path to peace. Click here for instructions.
- ORGANIZE — Organize a public event to show that “Tomorrow’s Peace Starts Today.” With a public event, you can help shed light on the longest-running armed conflict in the Western Hemisphere and fuel the movement for U.S. policies that can help end —not exacerbate— the civil war in Colombia. Click here to learn about organizing an event.
- DEDICATE — Colombia’s faith communities stand firmly for peace amidst grueling violence. Now they ask faith communities across the U.S. to join them in this year’s Days of Prayer and Action for Colombia. Hundreds of faith communities will dedicate part of their worship service that weekend to praying and working for peace in Colombia. Click here to learn more about dedicating a worship service to Colombia.
Our Colombian brothers and sisters have been coming together all month in support of peace with truth and justice. Take a look at their action on Twitter and Facebook. Then, join activists across the U.S. as we push forward in transforming U.S. policy towards Colombia once and for all. It’s not too late to organize events in your community. Be sure to check out the Days of Prayer and Action Toolkit for tips on taking action.