We want to see just U.S. policy towards Mexico and the border region, and we know that you do too. Over the past year we have worked tirelessly for real policy change in Washington that prioritizes human rights, and we have made real progress. Collaborating with partners like you, we pushed the U.S. to stop sending helicopters and other aid to the Mexican military, drew attention to the ways the U.S. fuels drug violence in Mexico, and alerted the White House to the humanitarian crisis of violence against migrants on both sides of the border.
Over the past year, spiraling violence has affected thousands of communities across Mexico. Mexico’s own National Human Rights Commission estimates that some 22,000 migrants are kidnapped each year in Mexico. Threats and attacks against human rights defenders have increased in many parts of the country. And the military fails to be held accountable for soaring abuses.
Along the U.S.-Mexico border, members of Congress continue to push for a militarized strategy, brushing aside the harmful impact on border communities and immigrants.
Your donation will help us to:
• Bring human rights defenders and victims of violence in Mexico to Washington to tell Congress and the White House what’s really happening on the ground;
• Support efforts of groups and communities throughout Mexico in denouncing President Calderón’s U.S.-supported “drug war” that has claimed over 36,000 lives;
• Urge Congress to replace big-ticket military hardware with U.S. aid that promotes sustainable, long-term changes that protect human rights and truly increase public safety;
• Shed light on the humanitarian crisis of violence and kidnapping of migrants crossing through Mexico en route to the United States and push for immigration and border policies that protect migrants and border communities;
• Develop and share tools for grassroots activists like you to use when organizing in your communities.
Help us help you make your voice be heard. We’ll carry your values through the halls of Washington, delivering a message of justice to the right people at just the right time.
We’ve set a goal to raise $5,000 in the next two weeks. But we have another goal in mind as well, and we won’t be able to reach it without your help. We envision a U.S. relationship with Mexico that values mutual respect and responsibility, prioritizes human rights and those who defend them, and sees justice reform a solution to security, not military might. We imagine a border policy that ensures humane treatment of migrants and accountability for law enforcement; a policy that is characterized by cooperation between neighbors, not walls of fear and division.
We’re on this journey towards justice together and we need your support. Can you pitch-in $25 or more to help us achieve our goal to raise $5,000 in the next two weeks and forge a more just U.S. policy towards Mexico and the borderlands?