Author: Angelika Albaladejo
Help gain widespread support in the House for three important bills that will make progress toward ending the embargo! Tell your representative to co-sponsor today! Click here to use our quick and easy email form!
Since the December 17, 2014 announcement by Presidents Obama and Castro, we have seen countless changes in the diplomatic relationship between the United States and Cuba. We have seen expanded travel, some progress on the right to trade, the reopening of embassies, the return to Cuba of the last three members of Cuban Five, and the removal of Cuba from the State Sponsors of Terrorism list–just to name a few of the major strides forward!
Your activism has been essential in securing these major advancements and there is so much more that we can do to end the embargo. You’ve already helped us make progress in Congress by targeting Republican reps. Your calls, emails, and meetings worked!
You’ve helped secure enough Republican co-sponsors on three important pieces of legislation to allow us to start targeting Democrats as well. It’s time to get everyone on board and make this a truly bipartisan effort to lift the embargo piece by piece.
We need your help reaching out to Republicans AND Democrats in the House about these bills:
- HR 664: The Freedom to Travel to Cuba Act of 2015
- Introduced by Rep. Mark Sanford (R-SC 1st) and Rep. James McGovern (D-MA 2nd), this bill would allow all U.S. citizens to travel to Cuba.
- 127 co-sponsors: 109 Democrats, 18 Republicans
- HR 3238: The Cuba Trade Act of 2015
- Introduced by Rep. Tom Emmer (R-MN 6th) and Rep. Cathy Castor (D-FL 14th), this bill would allow U.S. businesses in the private sector to trade with Cuba without restrictions.
- 22 co-sponsors: 12 Democrat, 10 Republicans
- HR 3687: Cuba Agricultural Exports Act
- Introduced by Rep. Eric A. Crawford (R-AR 1st), this bill would allow credit to be used for U.S. agricultural export to Cuba and permit U.S. investment in privately owned Cuban agricultural businesses.
- 38 co-sponsors: 15 Democrats, 23 Republicans
We’ve already achieved an impressive number of co-sponsors. Your action today will increase the chances that these pieces of legislation will reach a vote this year! Will you help us flood your representative’s office with requests to co-sponsor these bills? Click here to call or email now.
Through your continued advocacy, we are now closer than ever to ending the U.S. embargo on Cuba. But, we need you to keep the pressure on and continue urging Congress to support an end to the travel and trade restrictions. Even if your representative has already co-sponsored, let them know they have your continued support! Click here to contact your representative!