The Trump Administration’s immigration policies violate more human rights by the minute.
Over 60,000 families, men, women, and children who have been returned to Remain in Mexico are waiting in danger throughout their asylum proceedings. And the numbers keep growing. The administration calls this the “Migrant Protection Protocols.” We call it the #MigrantPersecutionProtocols. This needs to end. We can’t let more people be turned away, waiting without shelter and in danger.
Sham virtual courtrooms costing $20 million were created in tent facilities to hear 400-700 asylum cases per day. Apart from violating asylum seekers’ rights to due process, the public is also barred from entry. This is outrageous. The administration is trying to rush through these cases, denying asylum seekers their fair day in court to try to deport them more quickly.
To add insult to injury, a transit asylum ban was implemented to deny protection to those who traveled through other countries first before arriving at our border, denying access to asylum to everyone but Mexicans. “Safe Third Country” agreements were signed with Central American countries that are not safe. This means that migrants from other countries will be sent back to the very conditions that they were fleeing in the first place.
These are not the principles under which this country was founded. We don’t turn our backs on people when they need us most. The actions of our government undermine what it means to be an American. Join us in speaking out.
That’s why we’re proud to join forces with our partners to raise our voices
in a Week of Action to #SaveAsylum THIS week!
Here’s what you can do to get involved:
Together, let’s make their phones ring:
- Call your representative and two senators. Find them here >>>
- Sample Script: “My name is ____ and I am a constituent from ____. I urge Representative/Senator ____ to defund and terminate the harmful MPP policy. DHS must be held accountable for violations of the rights of migrants due to their policies. Asylum seekers should be allowed to wait for their asylum hearings in safety within the United States, not be sent to harm in Mexico to wait for months. I am alarmed that they are being returned to dangerous Mexican cities where they are at risk for kidnapping and extortion. I implore you to speak out against these policies. My community welcomes and values immigrants & refugees, and as someone who represents my community, I urge you to do the same.”
Together, let’s get trending:
- Twitter: Use hashtags like #SaveAsylum #MigrantPersecutionProtocols
- Join our twitter storm on Tuesday November 19th at 2pm EST
- Retweet our updated infographic on the impacts of Remain in Mexico
- Hold @DHSgov accountable for sending #refugees to #HarmInMexico. Over 60k have been returned so far under the #MigrantPersecutionProtocols Remain in Mexico. This must end. Join us in calling Congress to #SaveAsylum
- You may not have heard of Trump’s Remain in Mexico policy, but it’s costing #migrants their lives and exposing children to danger. Call Congress and tell them to END the Remain in Mexico program. #SaveAsylum
- Share our updated infographic on the impacts of the Remain in Mexico policy
- In an attempt to deter families from seeking safety in the U.S. the Trump Administration has been sending refugees to wait for their court hearings in dangerous Mexican cities under his harmful policy Remain in Mexico. Join us in telling Congress to #SaveAsylum and end the harmful #MigrantPersecutionProtocols
Join us in this Week of Action to raise our voices and tell the administration that we will not let them shut the door on asylum. Your action is vital.
For additional resources see:
Remain in Mexico Impacts Infographic